Friday, May 24, 2013

Farmers Market Fridays

Fridays are my farmer's market day. I skipped this week because I loaded up last week. I saw the egg guy and he pleasantly placed a dozen of his local free range eggs into my empty paper carton. I still have yet to store his name to my memory, but I'm sure he and I will become familiar over time. He's my only source for local eggs without packaging. Perhaps next time i'll buy one of his cartons and be able to exchange the container instead of transfer the eggs? In a pinch, I'd get eggs at a store in a paper carton rather than styrofoam, because I can easily compost it!  

When I go to the farmers market, I come with my tote, my containers for blue berries or raspberries, and produce bags for loose fruits, vegetables.  It's been taking a while to figure out how to eliminate plastic, particularly when buying berries.  Rarely are they packaged in paper cartons.  In which case, I would place in a reusable produce bag.  So far, vendors have been happy to refill my containers.  

My trip is very efficient and productive because I don't get derailed at booths with pre-packaged goods at high prices. Before I go, I know whether I need eggs, berries, fruits for juicing or fresh vegetables.  

Do you regularly visit your local farmer's market?

No comments:

Post a Comment