Thursday, May 23, 2013

Medical waste

No, it's not what you're thinking... 

I went to my usual pharmacy today to pick up two prescriptions, one old, one new. My goal today was to bring in my old prescription bottle to be refilled and figure out how to eliminate packaging for new prescriptions for next time. I had spoken with the pharmacy staff in advance about stopping automatic refills so I could do this and they were willing to accommodate my request.  

I wasn't surprised to find the new prescription packaged in a bag which had papers (detailing information about the medicine) stapled to it. The total packaging then included a plastic bottle, a cardboard box, a plastic container, a paper bag and papers stapled to it.  

Unfortunately, my old prescription had been prepared in the exact same way.  That defeated the purpose of bringing my old container in for a refill while I wait.  

I was pleasantly surprised, however, after kindly explaining my desire to reduce packaging and waste, that the clerk offered to take the paper bags back and REUSE them!  There is hope that others will take the opportunity to meet us half way.  It was a great opportunity to get someone thinking of solutions to our waste problem!

Would you consider reusing your medication bottles for routine medications? 

No comments:

Post a Comment