Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Haste makes waste

So this is the one thing that takes a little planning to get used to.  We live in a society where everyone is rushed, has so much to do and so little time to do it in. I'm having to structure myself in some ways to reduce waste. For example, I need to give myself enough time to gather the basics I'll need for my day. I got a purse that can hold everything but the kitchen sink, including many of my purchases. If I go out for the day, I bring my reusable glass water bottle and microwaveable reusable coffee cup. I always keep my bamboo silverware/chopsticks set in my purse (which came in handy at the Korean BBQ last night).  This way, I no longer use styrofoam cups, plastic ware, or even disposable chopsticks.  We have reusable snack bags for packed lunches instead of disposable zip-top bags.  One of these days I will add a metal straw to my set to eliminate my use of plastic straws.  When I go to get ice cream I get it in a cone (no cup or spoon to waste or recycle, just sometimes a paper wrapper that I take home to my composter).  Finally, if I need a snack, I grab the loose fruit from the cafeteria, it's about the only thing without packaging and its healthy!  Plan ahead, don't let haste make waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment