Monday, June 17, 2013

Approaching waste at a different level

I've mentioned before that in my house, it's a question of waste, recycle or compost. Now we have gotten to the point where we have very little trash, a lot of recycling, and very little green waste (thanks to the composter). 



The reduction of waste relates to the increase in efforts to recycle and avoid purchases of difficult to recycle items. This includes prepackaged coffee, for example.

The increase in recycling quantity relates to better conscious efforts to recycle everything possible, learning what can be recycled and what can't.  

Now, we have an opportunity to make a better use of the items we could be recycling.  This is important because a lot of energy is wasted during the recycling process.  Choosing g items we consider safe to reuse is a better option.  That means avoiding purchase of plastic containers, reusing them when possible, or finding alternative materials.

To get to the next level, I am going to try making certain things of my own and using reusable containers.  

For starters, applesauce can be made at home and placed in a glass jar from a previous purchase.  The bonus being all natural ingredients, no added sugar or preservatives.   

I have made my own liquid soap from bars and placed in pump dispensers.  The process is simple and only takes a few minutes of your time.  Next I want to try making my own laundry detergent, and placing in the plastic bucket that came with dishwasher detergent packets.  This way I reuse the plastics I already have and divert them in their original form from the recycling facility -at   least- as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment