Thursday, June 20, 2013

Reuse before recycle

Bea Johnson of The Zero Waste Home blog established a 5 R's hierarchy -in this order- refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle and rot. The other day I mentioned that I had reduced my waste and had a significant increase in recycling.  I decided I would reuse some items before just tossing into the recycle bin, consistent with the 5 R's hierarchy.  

I collected a couple glass juice jars from store purchases and sterilized them just like I would do with a baby bottle.  

I took all the ripe lemons from my tree and juiced them for my own home made lemon juice. I get fresh lemon juice from my garden, reuse something instead of recycling it, and avoid the purchase of a plastic lemon juice dispenser!  Oh, and my kitchen smells like fresh lemons!

I found some Ball brand jar labels from Amazon that wash right off the jar!



1 comment:

  1. I wish we had lemons, but later this year I will have crab apples, apples, plums, damsons and quinces. I've been stocking up on jars so hopefully we won't have the last minute panic we did one year with the damson ketchup!

    ReplyDelete