Friday, June 14, 2013

Zero Waste: One step at a time

One of the first things I did to start reducing my waste was get a composter.  I found the one that suited me best on Amazon called the Lifetime 50 gallon compost tumbler.  I anticipated some resistance by my husband.  His assumption was that composting involves a smelly pile in the yard that looks awful to visitors.  I proved him wrong.  In reality, it is an enclosed system that only requires turning the tumbler from the outside, holds in potential odors, and accelerates organic breakdown by insulating heat within.  People don't even notice it along the side of the house unless I point it out to them.  It is extremely easy to compost and anyone can find a system that suits their family.  It's an excellent way to reduce trash going to the landfill and reduce the production of methane gas at the landfill.  Furthermore, it is a great way to enrich your garden soil.  For my family, we like using the OXO Good Grips Countertop Compost bin in the kitchen for collecting compost scraps and we transfer it to the outdoor compost tumbler every 2-3 days.  I just got the gardener (who comes once every 2 weeks) to add the grass clippings to my composter for me.  That's just one more step toward reducing waste and having a zero waste lifestyle!

No comments:

Post a Comment